Bike Shop Manager
Lead Bike Mechanic, Bike Class Instructor
Sharing Wheels is looking for an experienced bike mechanic to partner with our new executive director to manage, grow and develop our non-profit community bike shop.
The tools and bike stands at Sharing Wheels are available for anyone to use during open shop hours. It’s the shop manager who provides guidance to people who come in to fix their own bikes, and mentoring to volunteers helping repair bikes donated to us.
The shop manager is responsible for the flow of donated bikes – ensuring efficient repairs or recycling and making safe, functional bikes available for our programs, which include affordable bike sales, adult earn-a-bike, and kids bike programs.
The bike shop is a key source of our revenue and a community gathering place. The shop manager is the hub that keeps those operations rolling smoothly.
Skills & Abilities
- Reliable employee who both takes initiative and completes assigned work.
- Proficient to expert bike mechanic skills, including older model bicycles; Minimum 2 years work experience in a bike shop environment.
- Outstanding customer service skills. Experience in retail and Point of Sale systems desired (we use Square).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution. Must be comfortable working closely with diverse volunteers and customers.
- Basic understanding of volunteer management or supervisory experience desired.
- Teaching and/or group leadership experience desired.
- Able to share your love of bikes without overwhelming a novice.
Responsibilities: In collaboration with the Executive Director, the Shop Manager assumes primary responsibility for leading bike shop operations, including:
- management of shop and retail functions;
- repair of donated bikes and overseeing quality control;
- supervising, mentoring, and inspiring volunteers and DIY customers; and
- providing training and mentoring in bike repair and maintenance.
Hours: This position may be either part-time or full-time, depending on the interest, qualifications, and availability of the individual hired. Regular weekend and evening hours are required.
Compensation: Depending on qualifications. Full-time positions are also eligible for health insurance and vacation benefits.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for yourself and two references to board president Kristin Kinnamon, email@example.com. Make sure to describe how your experience prepares you for the responsibilities described above and in the official Shop Manager Job Description. (PDF)
Position is open until filled.